How To Train Closing Techniques For Sales Teams

Olin Hyde
April 6, 2018

One of the biggest challenges most sales teams face is training sellers in how to close. After all, this is something that’s part science, part personality, and part skill; it can be hard to distinguish between the three. However, by breaking down the process and finding the pain-points, you’ll be in a much better position moving forward and have your team become a rockstar sales force. Here’s how:


Address The Mental Roadblocks Early


If there’s one thing that separates the good sales teams from the great ones, it’s the ability to address and overcome the mental roadblocks that come with the position. As sales take quite a bit of dedication to the process, it can be tricky getting everyone to execute consistently. And if this is something that your team has problems with, it might be a smart consideration to examine where they might be mentally blocked.


An excellent example of this is with follow-ups, which a lot of sales members tend to dread. According to Hubspot, it takes 18 touches to genuinely connect with a buyer; and while many of us know stats like that, seeing is believing. However, getting someone to actually see that can be difficult, especially if they think they’re annoying their potential customers.


While every salesperson is different, the point is to show what type of follow-up truly yields success. This includes things like leaving a small note along the lines of:  “Hey, Figured you might enjoy reading about this…” and including an article, or another minor gesture that shows you’ve been paying attention to what they’re saying. Remember, the name of the game isn’t necessarily reaching out 18 times, but rather remembering what it takes to make the sale.


Finally, another big part of mental roadblocks is internal communication outside your sales team. As noted by SalesForce, 73 percent of sales teams say that collaborating across different departments is critical to their sales process, which is why it’s important to open those channels as open as possible. Not only will your team learn how different aspects of the product or process work, but they will also be better prepared for any questions from customers moving forward. One of the biggest weapons a salesperson has is their knowledge base, so the more well-informed and prepared the sales team feels, the more successful they’ll be long-term.


Seek Out “The Why”


Another important aspect of fixing your closing process is figuring out why somebody didn’t buy your product or service. Although this isn’t necessarily an exercise in putting all the fault on yourself or your team, you should be looking for what can be improved next time. According to Point Clear, the average close rate is around 20 percent for most companies, and while that’s a decent goal to put on the board, figuring out what is happening with the other 80 percent is worthwhile. Why? Because that’s how you’re going to get your competitive edge.


When seeking the “why” in an unsuccessful sale, put yourself in the customer’s shoes for a minute. Were you too pushy? Did it come off that you were just trying to make a sale? One of the biggest goals for any product is to solve a problem, and that’s where you should start with every sale. In fact, according to PropellerCRM, 70 percent of purchasing decisions are based on problem-solving. Take a few different angles on that approach, as it will help your team keep itself mentally grounded and more likely to close.


Keep It Routine


Once you’ve established the how and why of your sales team’s closing techniques, it’s time to look at how you can keep these practices consistent. Even if there isn’t a direct close on every single deal, the sheer repetition can be well worth the effort. As noted by LucidPress, brands that are constantly presented have 3 to 4 times the brand recognition, and with numbers like that, your popularity (and profits) will go through the roof.


With a basic foundation in place, your sales strategy should primarily hone in on what feels most natural. While it’s good to have quotas and other metrics in place to show success, it’s also key that your sales team feels empowered to sell, which requires a strong knowledge base as well as an ability to understand how your product or service solves a real problem. If you can stick with that day-in and day-out, then you’ll be well on your way to having an expert sales team in no time.


What are some sales training techniques that you use to close more deals and keep a rockstar team? Comment with your answers below!

Further Reading

Olin Hyde
April 8, 2020
. 5 min read
Lainey Mebust
October 10, 2019
Olin Hyde
August 18, 2019